Off The Front (OTF)
Flexible start dates
23 of 50 total
Off The Front (OTF) is a cycling term for a rider who has broken away from the rest of the pack. Off The Front’s desire is to help kids in impoverished areas learn how to set goals and work hard to reach those goals so they can break away from the hindrances they face in the areas of education and obesity in order to succeed in the race of life.
Volunteer in the classroom in the ‘Earn A Bike’ program. Volunteers will need to be able to commit to 1 hr/week in a 4th grade classroom, leading students in the process of earning a bike. Students will earn points towards the bike in the areas of academics, behavior, healthy choices and attendance. Volunteers will be given a simple curriculum to work through with students, while encouraging and mentoring them along this journey.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- repairing bikes at Susan B, Calwa, Jackson, West Fresno, Pinedale and Kerman Floyd Elementary Schools
- working with fourth-grade students in their classroom, assisting them in setting and tracking goals so they can earn a brand new bike, lock and helmet.
Other volunteer opportunities include:
- Active Commute Program Volunteers: visiting one of our 4 partnering schools, who participate in this program, before school, at least once a week for 30-45 minutes to encourage students and promote the program. We also need volunteers to help run the 8 school stores we set up during lunchtime over the course of the year to reward students in the program.
- Bike Builds: In April we begin building bikes for the students who have been working to earn a bike throughout the year in our Earn A Bike Program. Volunteers may be unboxing bikes, building bikes, help keep the warehouse in order during the build, quality control, etc.
- California Classic Century Rest Stops: Off The Front partners with the California Classic Weekend by recruiting volunteers to run rest stops for the century ride. There are 7 rest stops at varying times (usually 3-5 hours long) along the course, where we need folks to set out the provided fuel and beverages for riders and encourage participants! Volunteers will register for this event on the California Classic Website.
For more information on Off the Front and ways to serve with them, please visit their website here, or contact Lindsey at the above contact information.
27 Spots Available